Leipzig is a city in the northwest of Saxony with 520,000 inhabitants the most populous city in the five new federal states.
Leipzig is one of the six regional centers in Saxony and is home to the country's Directorate of Leipzig. The city shares the metropolitan area that is part of the metropolitan triangle of Saxony with the neighboring city of Halle (Saale). Leipzig is furthermore an important transportation hub and one of the most important economic centers of the new states.
After award of the city rights and market privileges in the year 1165, Leipzig during the German Ostsiedlung developed into an important commercial center. Leipzig's tradition as an important trade fair location in Central Europe with one of the oldest fairs in the world goes back to 1190 and was closely linked to the long-standing role as an international center of the fur trade. In addition to Frankfurt am Main, the city is a historic center of printing and trafficking. Also located in Leipzig, one of the oldest universities and the oldest schools of business and music in Germany.
With the re-union, as in almost all regions of the former GDR , almost the whole indutrial branche came to a hold. Only a few companies were maintained after privatization. Still remaining companies, for example, the engineering company Kirov (a manufacturer of mobile cranes with about 180 employees), TAKRAF (a subsidiary of VTC Industrial Holding GmbH), are still in busniess today. Founded in 1852 in Leipzig as Typographisches Kunst-Institut Giesecke & Devrient was nationalized in 1948 as VEB Wertpapierdruckerei and is now known as Giesecke & Devrient GmbH, Wertpapierdruckerei Leipzig.
However, the reunification also brought some major industrial sites, including Siemens (about 1700 employees), Porsche (about 400 employees and another 400 in service industries) and BMW (2500, with partners and suppliers over 5200 employees at Leipzig). This established Leipzig as an automotive city. 2005, the Leipzig Transport Authority (LVB) invested in rail vehicles. The subsidiary has since built the HeiterBlick Leoliner, a tram, which will comes with a competitive price and its robustness, particularly for the Eastern European market. LVB employs over 2,300 employees.
Here: Leipziger Messe and Thomaschoir
Known for the Leipziger Messe (Leipziger Fairground). It is regarded as one of the oldest trade fair centers in the world. The tradition dates back to the market right from the Count of Meissen, Otto the Rich in 1165. In 1190 the Jubilatemarkt (Easter Market) and the Michaelis market by the Margrave of Meissen Albrecht the Proud were confirmed. From 1218 the first documentary nominated merchants and craftsmen settled in Leipzig. 1341 the clothiers bought its own building at the Leipzig market, the first "Gewandhaus". From 1420 the market was used as a transit point for Nuremberg merchants in Poland. In 1458 the city received the rights for the New Year market by Elector Frederick II. From then on, the city was an important transfer point for metals, furs, silk, gems and Saxonian silver. In 1507 the city received the privilege of stacking, which meant that within a radius of 115 kilometers, no exhibition was allowed to be held. Also the storage of goods was banned outside the city-limits. Since 1573 the city had managed to build strong trade relations with Moscow. Leipzig in 1824 became the World Trade Center, as well as traders from North America, Brazil, Argentina and India participated in the fair. 1833 all the privileges of the German Zollverein were revoced. However, Leipzig, at the that time had, established itself as a trade fair location no.1, so that the largest competitor (Frankfurt) could not prevail. For spring 1895, the conversion from a goods-kiosk to the world's first trade fair took place. In the Third Reich, the Leipziger Messe was directly subordinated to the Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda and became the only "general international exhibition on German soil". Leipzig in 1938 became the "imperial fair city." During the GDR period the Spring and Autumn Fairs were an important meeting point of trade between East and West. With the reunification of the two Universal Exhibitions were replaced by seasonal fairs. In 1996 the new exhibition center was built on the outskirts and the Messe Leipzig started to seek a new user for the old one. Since the re-union, the exhibition center is in competition with many rivals, often much larger sites such as Hannover, Frankfurt or Dusseldorf and must assert themselves in a tight market. With the Games Convention (GC) the Leipzig Messe a, for Europe, unique fair. The GC however, moved to Cologne in 2008, due to arising growth. The Leipziger Messe however has established a spin-off to the GC. The Games Convention Online, an exhibition that exclusively focused online games.
The St. Thomas Choir of Leipzig
The St. Thomas Choir of Leipzig is a world famous boys choir in Leipzig. Founded in 1212 by Dietrich Markgraf of Meissen established under Otto IV along with the Thomas School and the Thomas Church it belonged to the Augustinian Monastery of the Monastery of St. Thomas in Leipzig. As one of the oldest Boys Choirs world wide, it was led by many famous musicians and composers, including from the year 1723 Johann Sebastian Bach. The choir consists of about 100 boys aged 9-18 years. The boys stay at the boarding school, the Thomasalumnat, and visit the Thomas school, a grama school with a linguistic profile and deepen musical, training.